FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 15, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
As Reverend Warnock Keeps Fighting to Create GA Jobs & Reduce Reliance on China, Herschel Walker Still Hasn’t Denounced McConnell’s Threat To Block Jobs & Competition Bill
Atlanta Journal Constitution: “Warnock to Congressional Leaders: Don’t Let China Competition Bill Fall Apart”
Herschel Walker Remains Silent As Georgia Jobs Are On The Line
Atlanta, GA – As Reverend Warnock keeps pressing Senate leadership to swiftly pass the China competition bill, Herschel Walker has refused to stand up to Mitch McConnell following his threat to block the bipartisan deal that will bring jobs to Georgia and reduce America’s reliance on foreign nations, like China.
In a letter sent today to Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Warnock is continuing his charge to pass the critical legislation. Meanwhile, Herschel Walker has said nothing about his own party’s threat to hold up the deal that would bring jobs to Georgia and help the U.S. better compete with China.
“It’s Friday and Herschel Walker still hasn’t denounced his own party’s efforts to block critical bipartisan legislation to save and grow Georgia jobs and ensure the U.S. can better compete with China,” said Meredith Brasher, Warnock for Georgia communications director. “Herschel Walker’s silence while Georgia jobs are on the line is yet another sign that he isn’t ready to represent Georgians in the U.S. Senate. Georgians will have a clear choice this fall between Reverend Warnock’s record of fighting to grow Georgia jobs and Herschel Walker’s failure to stand up for them.”
Read more from the Atlanta Journal Constitution below:
Atlanta Journal Constitution: Warnock to congressional leaders: Don’t let China competition bill fall apart
By Tia Mitchell – July 15, 2022
- The Senate should not allow partisan bickering to derail negotiations on a China competitiveness bill, U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock says in new letter to the chamber’s highest-ranking members.
- Writing to Senate Leader Chuck Schumer and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, Warnock says he and others have spent almost a year working on legislation that would address the semiconductor shortage and other supply chain issues while also boosting American research and innovation. That package should be on a fast-track, Warnock writes, but politics seems to be getting in the way of progress.
- “This historic bipartisan legislation is too vital to be used to score political points, and employing tactics to derail this critical and overwhelmingly bipartisan bill is shameful,” Warnock’s letter says. “Americans need leadership, not political gamesmanship.”
- McConnell announced earlier this month that he would encourage fellow Republicans to oppose the China competitiveness package if Democrats forged ahead on a separate measure that would address rising health care costs and, possibly, climate change. That legislation could also include tax increases on businesses and the richest Americans, although its framework continues to evolve.
- “Political threats to block this legislation are shameful,” he wrote. “At this moment, families need our help more than ever. We should not force a choice between helping Americans afford essential medication and creating good-paying jobs through innovation. Our economy and our communities need and deserve both.”
Title and affiliation are provided for identification purposes only.