NEW AJC Fact Check: Warnock “Repeatedly Denied” That He Would Support Defunding The Police
Atlanta, GA – During tonight’s debate, Kelly Loeffler once again lied about Reverend Warnock’s support for law enforcement, while covering up her own record of voting against funding for law enforcement. Here are the facts:
Reverend Warnock does not support defunding the police.
- “Warnock doesn’t support efforts to defund law enforcement… Warnock for months has been saying he opposes defunding the police.” [Factcheck.org, 11/25/20]
- “Both Democratic Senate candidates Jon Ossoff and the Rev. Raphael Warnock have repeatedly denied that they would support defunding police departments, as reported by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.” [Atlanta Journal-Constitution]
However, Kelly Loeffler voted against government funding legislation that extended millions in federal funding to law enforcement.
- Loeffler was one of only 10 Senators to vote against government funding legislation that extended millions in funding for the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Program. [CQ, 9/30/20; Vote 197, H.R. 8337, 9/30/20]
- For reference, in 2020 Georgia received $6.8 million in COPS grant funding, benefitting 53 officers.
Loeffler called the funding a “waste,” even though Senator David Perdue voted for it, and President Trump signed the legislation into law.
- “Her office told us later that Loeffler has decided to take a stand against how the government is funded, saying she believes there is rampant fraud and waste.” [AJC, 9/30/20]
Title and affiliation are provided for identification purposes only.